Monday, February 24, 2014

Voices From the Past

My Mom has been gone for close to 30 years now, but lately I've been hearing her whispering in my ear. "Why are you doing this?" she asks me.

My Mom was house proud and kept her our home immaculately clean and tidy.  You didn't dare put something down if you weren't finished with it, as she would have put it away before you could pick it up again.  My house is clean, and if you walk into it, you are not necessarily going to see spots as messy I've been showing you.  But my house is lived in, and things do accumulate here and there, though not necessarily all at the same time.  Most people who have visited here would tell you the house is generally tidy, at least most of the time.

It doesn't bother me one bit to show you some spot that is currently in need of tidying up. After all, that's what this De-Clutter Project is for. It's a kick starter to get us to tackle those little jobs that we've been avoiding, or ignoring, until the time comes when they actually look bad.  My mother would have said I was making a fool of myself, and somehow that would have cast a bad light on her.  She always saw it that way.  What ever I did, was a total reflection of the job she was doing raising me.  I disagreed.  To me, it was more of a reflection of my own choices, and had nothing to do with what she tried to teach me.  I may have just chosen not to apply some particular lesson to what I was up to at certain points in time.  I suppose this is another one of those times.   I know she would be rolling over in her grave if she could see me showing the world my clutter spots.

As for myself, I'm quite happy to have found a group of people all on a similar quest.  We spur each other on, and keep one another accountable for at least trying to clean up some spot, and report in each week. I've now completed 8 weeks of de-cluttering projects, and added a link to the bottom of the de-cluttering posts, so that anyone else reading can also get in on the project. 

So, hush Mom. Be proud of me. I'm doing something good here, not something shameful.  At least, that's the way I see it.  After all, if I do this every week for a full year, it might actually become a habit. I might even run out of messy spots eventually.

1 comment:

  1. My mom although very much alive is also a super neat, super cleany. Me not so much. I LOVE to organize, but cleaning is not my cup of tea. I think she is often very appalled at the state of affairs in our home, but she's learning not to say anything. Phew! :o)

    ReplyDelete