Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Eggs-Traordinary!

I had to buy some more eggs. I still have several left from my last dozen, but I wanted to make a quiche and I just couldn't get myself to beat any from the last bunch.  You see, the previous purchase held a surprise. 

One morning I was all set to make breakfast of a scrambled egg rolled up in a soft tortilla. When I broke the egg into the bowl I was going to microwave it in, I discovered that it had two yolks.  I have not seen a double yolker in many years and there was no way I was going to scramble that baby up.  I got out my frying pan and had a fried egg on toast instead. 

As the week wore on I discovered that all the eggs in that carton seem to have double yolks.  A little discussion on Facebook let me know that several other people were experiencing the same thing.  As it turns out, they all bought their eggs from Walmart.  Amazingly, for the first time ever, I had also purchased eggs from Walmart, and those were the double yolkers.

Such a treat!

It does get confusing when you are cooking though.  I was about to make waffles the other day, and my recipe called for 2 egg yolks. I'm pretty sure that the two yolks from one of these eggs would not big enough to fulfil the requirement. But if I used the yolks from two eggs, there would have been 4 and that may have been too much yolk.  Three might have worked, but I'm finding these yolks rather fragile, so decided to just make pancakes instead.  No separated yolks required for that.

Then I wanted to make a quiche, but that required three eggs and I didn't want to waste my beautiful double yolked eggs by scrambling them all up. I gave up and bought a second carton, but I got them at my usual store, instead of Walmart, and they are, as expected, normal, one yolked eggs. 

One has to wonder what's going on here, as a double yolk happens when the egg gets backed up in the chicken's oviduct system, causing two yolks to be encased in the same shell.  It can also happen when ovulation occurs too rapidly. Either way a double yolk is supposedly a rare occurrence, and is believed to happen in only one out of 1,000 eggs.  So how is it that Walmart is selling whole cartons full of them to so many people all of a sudden?  Are their suppliers doing something to the chickens to cause them to lay eggs too often?

Apparently very young hens can produce double yolked eggs too, because their hormone system is not fully developed.  Since flocks of hens would all be roughly the same age, that might account for why so many of these young chickens are laying double yolked eggs all at the same time.

I have read that some hens are even bred to produce eggs with a double yolk, but I'm sure that the producers and the stores would both advertise they are double yolkers and expect to be paid more for these special eggs.  All it says on my carton of large eggs is "Great Value".  Well, I sure can't dispute that!  One double yolked egg would be a treat. A carton full is a bonanza.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment